Cap. 633 Private Healthcare Facilities Ordinance
was passed by the Legislative Council on 15 November 2018 and enacted on 2 July 2019. The full text of the Ordinance is available for viewing on the Hong Kong Government e-legislation website.
All premises of PHFs, including hospitals, day procedure centres (DPCs) & clinics where registered medical practitioners or registered dentists practise will be regulated. To become eligible to operate, PHFs must meet certain standards for licensing or exemption and apply to the Director of Health (DoH) for a licence or a letter of exemption.
Day Procedure Center (DPC) – application for licence
• For operator who has been operating a DPC on 30 November 2018, it will be issued a provisional licence upon its application before 30 April 2020 for a full licence, provided that it satisfy certain conditions, until it’s granted the full licence
• Operators who start operating a DPC after 30 November 2018 will need to apply for full licences
Clinic – application for clinic licences and letters of exemption
• For operator who has been operating a DPC on 30 November 2018, it will be issued a provisional licence upon its application for a full licence, provided that it satisfy certain conditions, until it’s granted the full licence.
• For operator who starts operating a DPC after 30 November 2018, it will need to comply with requirements under the new regulatory regime, and aim to apply for full licences.
• Operator(s) of a small practice clinic may ask the Department of Health for a letter of exemption to operate the clinic without a licence.
- Management / Governace
- Chief medical executive
- Staff training and credentialing
Resuscitation and Contingency
- Risk management
- Resuscitation of patients
- Emergency transfer
- Fire safety and evacuation
Service Delivery and Care Process
- Patients’ rights
- Patient identification
- Medical records
- Drug management
- Laboratory and radiology support
- Special needs of paediatric patients
- Continuous quality improvement
- Price Information
- Complaint handling
- Infection control policies and procedures
- Cleaning, disinfection, and sterilization of medical equipment
- Waste disposal
- Facility management
- Equipment and store
- Back-up power supply